OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

My mom found a marble size nodule on her L breast. She went…

my mom found a marble...
my mom found a marble size nodule on her L breast. She went in and her gyn couldn't feel it but sent her for mammogram and the y did an ultrasound which they saw the nodule that she felt but told her her lymph nodes were clear. They did a lumpectomy and sent it off for pathology which we are awaiting results and I'm highly anxious!! My mom is 62, good health, normal weight, no family hx of breast cancer in her family. She had a hysterectomy 8 years ago and is on estrogen only replacement. The breast surgeon told us after the lumpectomy that just by looks he said it was a 90 % chance it was probably benign but he did reiterate he wasn't a " microscope" my mom has also been a avid exerciser and never smoked or drank. I just want another opinion and what about the characteristics of the lesion made him think it was benign do you think? Also out of curiosity I read that most breast tumors or 80% are benign., why is the statistics so favorable I'm glad to hear that just curious why most are benign?
1/19/2018
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Ted Manos M.D., board certified obgyn for many years. I can respond shortly.
I examined countless women and found some lumps they didn’t find which were benign. I had ultrasound machine in the office and did my own studies. Ultrasound shows more detail with higher frequency transducers. In gynecology, we did the procedure through the abdominal wall and we saw deeper structures with lower frequency probes. We started doing transvaginal ultrasound because the transducer probe could be inserted in the vagina and uterus tubes and ovaries stood out with higher frequency probe for better detail. I was one of the few gynecologists that started looking at breast lumps with my vaginal probe ultrasound. The lump stood out well and most were nice and round with smooth walls. They were always benign and I aspirated many with no cancer cells in the fluid I sent to the lab. Cancer lumps feel like an irregular stone that’s hard and irregular. My scan would show more solid tissue and small areas of fluid. My stomach would sink when I knew it was probably malignant. Your mom’s thing certainly sounds benign to me as it was probably easy to dissect out. I hope I’ve helped put you at ease.
why are most breast lumps benign or is it an answer to that medically
The breast is comprised of pockets (or glands) that will secrete milk when stimulated by mechanics like sucking and pituitary gland cells that secrete substances that message the breast glands to produce milk. When there is no need for milk production, the glands may be influenced by thyroid hormone, women’s menstrual cycle hormones and dietary factors. The breast will form small pockets of activity that form the mostly benign cysts. Breast lumps are benign because of the nature of breast tissue and what’s still unknown about breast cancer.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN