OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I’m going to try to explain things as best as I can

Customer Question
hopefully it sounds good: My...
I’m going to try to explain things as best as I can hopefully it sounds good: My girlfriend was due to get her period on December 31 or January 1st according to a period calculator. However she has irregular period. One month she will take 35 days. Another months it will take her 36 or 37. One time it went past 40 days. Anyways she took 2 pregnancy test. One six days before her period on the 26th of December and one on the 2nd of January. Both of these test came back negative. During the first week of January she has been saying that her breast have gotten bigger and she’s been spotting brownish blood. This is a basic run down of what happen sexually. I had sex with my girlfriend while having a condom on. I ejaculate inside of her with the condom on but while I was ejculating I was also pulling out and then we decide to keep having sex after I finish ejaculating. I didn’t wipe my penis. Or clean it or anything. I just took off the first condom and put on a brand new second one and kept having sex. Can my girlfriend get pregnant this way? From me touching my penis to take off the first condom and wiping off the lub from my penis and then using the same hand to put on the second condom. What if the week it happen she was ovulating at her highest peak. Would that cause her to be pregnant. She’s late on her period by 2 weeks and 3 days is she pregnant? She also took 2 more pregnancy test one on January the 10th and a second one on January 15 just recently both of these test came back negative. Just a little more info she recently started taking Spironolactone without any birth control. Would the medication be the reason for a late period? She’s been on this for a month going onto a second month towards the end of this one.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
1/18/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your girlfriend's situation. Now actually from what you are describing it is highly unlikely that your girlfriend is pregnant. The reason is that the way that you had sexual intercourse, it is extremely unlikely that she would have been exposed to any of your sperm. Additionally, the fact that she has had 4 negative pregnancy tests also goes in favor of her NOT being pregnant at all.

Now since she is unlikely to be pregnant then her late periods are likely to be due to a hormonal imbalance. Hormonal imbalances can cause delayed periods as well as brown colored spotting and ALL of her other symptoms. This is a very common cause of these sort of symptoms in patients of this age group. It can occur because of stress, anxiety, viral or bacterial infections as well as thyroid gland disorders. Now in most cases, this can be diagnosed quite easily with the help of a simple clinical examination, hormonal blood panel and also a pelvic ultrasound. The treatment in most cases is to start her of hormones which can reset the balance back to normal.

It is also possible that your girlfriend has a condition which is known as polycystic ovarian syndrome, it can cause all of these symptoms as well. It can also explain the irregular periods that she has been having. This would be diagnosed with a simple pelvic ultrasound.

But in short, I can tell you with confidence that your girlfriend is unlikely to be pregnant and these symptoms are the result of a hormonal imbalance.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Umm so I just wanted to know there’s 0 percent chance of her being pregnant
It is a zero percent chance. She cannot be pregnant with the negative pregnancy tests. If you read my last paragraph you will see that I have mentioned that she cannot be pregnant. There is a zero percent chance of her being pregnant.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today
I just want to know what steps we should take in order for her to get her period or better yet for us to know for sure she isn’t pregnant
You have had 4 negative tests those negative tests are confirmation of the absence of a pregnancy. If you want another confirmatory test then get a blood tests done for pregnancy, there is no medical reason to get it done as it will be negative. But you can get it done for you own satisfaction. Medically speaking 4 negative pregnancy tests are confirmation enough.
For the period she needs a hormonal blood test which would be followed by oral medications to restore the normal hormonal balance in the body. Herbal medicine or otc products won't help here and they can even worsen the situation. That is why I would not suggest that you use them
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor