OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I've been writing because a month ago, I saw three very

Hello, I've been writing because...
Hello, I've been writing because a month ago, I saw three very small drops of blood on my poise pad. It has not happened since. I went to the doctor today and on the surface everything looked good. I am 55 and post menopausal 3 years.
My last yearly check up with my gyn was this past August and all came back normal. I do have two large fibroids, which at my last visit as well, my doctor said they were shrinking. Well, today at the doctor's office, she examined me, took some tests and everything looked and felt normal. She did schedule me for a uterine ultrasound. She said based on this test, she will determine if I need a biopsy or not. OF COURSE I AM SCARED TO DEATH! The word cancer is sooooooooooooo scary and unfortunately I'm the type of person who is anxiety ridden (I take prozac for that). I always think the very worse and the feeling of doom comes over me. Of course, I pray that the ultrasound comes back normal. But doctors, what if it doesn't? What can this mean for me in the long run? I've never had any gynecological issues (just the fibroids) and my pap smears have always been normal. I'm the type of person who goes out of her mind waiting for test results, literally sick. Please help;any words of wisdom that can get me by? THANKS SO MUCH.
1/17/2018
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

HI there. Board-certified obgyn here.

First, it is very, very unlikely that you have cancer. The ultrasound will determine if you need a biopsy or not. The biopsy is done in the office and takes about 2 seconds. It's a little crampier than a pap smear (I've had a few uterine biopsies myself). The biopsy will determine if anything is wrong. If anything does come back abnormal, your doctor will talk to you about treatment options.

In the meantime, I would try to relax and breathe. Nothing you are saying sounds terribly alarming. It stinks having to be evaluated for any abnormal condition, but rest assured that the vast majority of evaluations we do for postmenopausal bleeding turn up negative for cancer. We do biopsies all the time and most of the time it's nothing to worry about.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Thanks so much for your kind and wise words doctor. They truly helped. Any advances in treatment for uterine cancer....see just in case...I'm always thinking the worse.

I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves, but in general, if cancer was diagnosed, the first step is usually hysterectomy. For some women with uterine cancer, this may be all they need. For others with more aggressive cancer they may require subsequent chemotherapy or radiation.

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN