OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am on birth control Gianvi and I smoke cigaretts very

I am on birth...

I am on birth control Gianvi and I smoke cigaretts very seldom, like once or twice a month. I am trying to stop it but in the meantime, what should I do to attack the risks of strokes. I just smoked one and I am thinking is there anything I should do now?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I am just taking birth control Gianvi

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I don't think so.

1/17/2018
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for the question.

Ideally, of course, you need to stop smoking.

But till then, you need to exercise and avoid sitting or standing for long periods of time. Being inactive for a long time can help blood to pool in the tissues. the hormones in the BC pills can then cause the formation of blood clots.

Exercising regularly and daily will help improve muscle tone and avoid stagnation of blood.

Decrease the amount of calories , especially those from carbohydrates as far as possible. A vegetarian diet is safest. Take minimal non-veg food . especially meats.

Take a blood test for the lipid profile. If the lipid profile shows a high cholesterol, you will need to stop smoking at once or stop the BC pill.

Check your blood pressure from time to time. If it is high, stop the BC pills until it stabilizes.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you.

Welcome and thank you for the question.

Thank you.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar