OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm on the birth control nuvaring and I'm currently not

Hi, I'm on the...

Hi, I'm on the birth control nuvaring and I'm currently not having sex. I did mistakenly take it out this past Saturday thinking it was my period week and realized today, since I had put the ring in on the 30th, I have another week to go. I didn't know if I should clean it off and reinsert it or just not put a new one in until I receive my period.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

My periods are pretty regular after being on the ring. I usually start my periods on Monday nights though or into Tuesday mornings

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don't believe so

1/16/2018
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

I would insert a new ring today, and use a backup method of birth control (like condoms) until the new ring has been in for 2 weeks. You may experience some irregular bleeding for the next few weeks as your cycle readjusts.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
I mean it's only been out two days.if I put a ring in, Should I still take it out this coming Saturday like I was originally suppose to?
Phone call session started