OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had unprotected sex in December took a morning pill the…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hi I had...
Second opinion] Hi I had unprotected sex in December took a morning pill the next day I started my period when I was suppose to started it but it’s been really light and dark brown. I’m have had my period for 12 days took 5 Pregnancy test and they have have come negative. There is pain in my pelvic area. Is itnormal to have my period for 12 days
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/14/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 7 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

In answer to the question, yes, you can have quite a bit of irregular bleeding after taking the morning-after pill. It works by providing a huge dose of a certain hormone which delays ovulation (the release of an egg) in order to prevent pregnancy, but it can certainly alter your own cycle and cause irregular bleeding.

Does that mean I could be pregnant

The pain and bleeding are not necessarily signs that you are pregnant.

When was the last time you had sex?

January 3

You could be pregnant from that encounter 1/3/18, but it would be too soon for a pregnancy test to turn positive.

That all being said, the fact that you are now bleeding for 12 days straight indicates that a pregnancy is unlikely, and is likely related to your use of the morning-after pills a few weeks ago.

there is no way I’m pregnant

As I said, You could be pregnant from that encounter 1/3/18, but it would be too soon for a pregnancy test to turn positive. The constant bleeding that you are having would make it unlikely (but NOT impossible) that you are pregnant.

Again, if you had unprotected intercourse 1/3, you could be pregnant but it is too soon for a home pregnancy test to turn positive.

When can I take a pregnancy test

Typically it takes about 2 weeks (plus or minus a few days) AFTER the date of conception (the sexual act where you got pregnant) for a home pregnancy test to turn positive.

If you continue to have unprotected intercourse, of course, you could still get pregnant at any time, and again, it typically takes approximately 2 weeks after conception for a test to turn positive.

But why do I still get my period if there’s a possibility I might be pregnant if I had unprotected sex on January 3 but he didn’t cum inside me
What are the first symptoms of the first week of prgancy

I can sense I am not telling you the exact answer you wish to hear, but I must be honest with you.

- Yes, you can still get pregnant if your partner withdrew before ejaculation. This method has a 20% failure rate.

- Typically there are no symptoms the first week of pregnancy, because your pregnancy hormone level has not become high enough for you to have any. Symptoms in the first trimester (first 14 weeks) of pregnancy include nausea and fatigue.

- Again, The constant bleeding that you are having would make it unlikely (but NOT impossible) that you are pregnant.

Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs for me.

If you are satisfied with the responses provided, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you.