OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I got a question about menopause Says woman is born with 350…

I got a question about...
I got a question about menopauseSays woman is born with 350 eggs (I'm guessing). Then for three yrs she doesn't get her period bc of a medical reason - illness or anorexia or something like this. She recovers and starts getting her menses again. Say she hits menopause age around 40-42. Because she didn't bleed for 3yrs will her body release those left over eggs for three more years ordoes the body absorb them? How does this work?
1/11/2018
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor

Welcome to justanswer.I amCustomerand your complete satisfaction is my goal.I am reviewing your question and I would respond shortly.

Thanks for your question.
The woman has 1 million eggs at the time of birth out of which only
I am continuing my answer, please wait. I click the submit answer button by mistake.
3,00,000 remain at the time of puberty.
Out of these only 300 to 400 eggs get ovulated during the reproductive life of a woman.
Menopause is not determined by the number of eggs.
Menopause occurs due to hormonal changes in a woman's body.
During Menopause oestrogen levels start gradually falling and the hormonal changes lead to stoppage of monthly cycle of release of egg and preparation of uterus.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honor my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Why do women have so many eggs when they reach puberty if only a tiny percentage get ovulated?
This is nature's way of providing genetic diversity as. all the eggs have different genes.