OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a skyla IUD. I checked multiple times. The strings…

I have a skyla IUD...
I have a skyla IUD. I checked multiple times. The strings are still in place, same as they always were. I have had it for 7 months.Today, a thin, cotton like string fell out of me when I went to the bathroom. The texture is NOT like the IUD strings (like fishing line) but rather, like a tampon string. My confusion, and worry - I don't use tampons, and I haven't in years.I cannot think of any logical reason for this.
1/11/2018
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Hello, and thank you for your question.

I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

When did you get your last period? I am assuming that you use pads?

Could that string have been from cotton panties?

I am currently at the end of my period. I use pads yes. I guess that that's possible?

Thank you for the reply.

That cotton string is probably a bit form your panties.

Sometimes, vaginal discharge can also dry up and look like a cotton string, especially if it is towards the end or beginning of the period when it gets mixed with blood. Blood makes the discharge stiff like a string.

A bit from the pad , mixed with dried blood can also look like a cotton string.

I do not think you have cause for concern.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Thank you very much!

You are welcome.