OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I’m thinking I am pregnant but no positive pregnancy test as…

Hi! I’m thinking...

Hi! I’m thinking I am pregnant but no positive pregnancy test as of yet. Conception date 12/4/17. I was on birth control and ended my pack of pills that month too. I thought i started a period around the 7 or 8th December. I have sore breast, last week i was naseauted. What can I do at this point ? Is it too early to tell if I’m pregnant?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

No.

1/10/2018
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

If your conception date was 12/4/17 but then you had bleeding on 12/7 or 12/8, it is unlikely that you became pregnant from that encounter on 12/4.

It is possible that your period is getting ready to start, because nausea and sore breasts can be symptoms of PMS, which precede a period.

Have you had sex since 12/4? Have you taken a pregnancy test?

My period was light and only a few days. I also had brown discharge at the end of December. I took a test on Monday and it was negative.

Have you had sex since 12/4?

I have not had sex since 12/4 just before that.

If you were pregnant from that 12/4 encounter, your pregnancy test would definitely be positive by now.

It sounds like you were previously taking birth control pills, and last month you stopped them. It could be that now that you're off the pills, your periods are not being regulated (because pills do help keep periods regular) and you are having irregular bleeding.

Yeah I was only on them for two months this time around.I just feel pregnant! I’ve been pregnant once before . My body just feels the same . Thank you !

If you're worried that the pregnancy test on Monday was incorrect, take another one. You'd be about 7 weeks pregnant by now (from 12/4 date of conception) so it should be positive, if indeed you are pregnant.

Another completely reliable pregnancy test is bloodwork. If you wanted to be absolutely sure you could call your doc and ask them to order bloodwork to check for pregnancy hormone. This is absolutely, 100% reliable, even if a urine pregnancy test is negative.

If you are satisfied with the responses received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
It shouldn’t be considered withdrawal bleeding from the 7th or 8th?
Thats when i had that period after i finished my pills ..

Do you mean implantation bleeding? That is usually 5 days after conception, and is light spotting. It sounds like you bled 3 or 4 days after possible conception, and then again later in the month.

No
One sec.. maybe its called breakthrough bleeding ? Like when you forget to take your pills and you start bleeding . The end of the month it was just a brown discharge when i would wipe .

Ah I see.

If you happened to get pregnant on 12/4, the entire hormonal milieu would have changed starting that day, and you would not expect to have bleeding related to stopping the pill use.

Oh ok , so peopl who still bleed and are pregnant thats not common?
People *

It can happen throughout the first trimester, but I would not expect it repeatedly in the first few weeks of pregnancy.

Again, taking another pregnancy test and/or checking bloodwork would clear up a lot of questions for you.