OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I rarely get my periods. they started at 14, and i’m nearly…

Customer Question
i rarely get my periods...
i rarely get my periods. they started at 14, and i’m nearly 18 now. they happen once to twice a year and my current doctor doesn’t seem to care, but it’s stsrting to concern me. thoughts?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/10/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 7 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

You need to be investigated for polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) / hormonal aberrations which are likely for scanty periods.

The first step would be to get the following investigations, if not done;

1) androgen,

2) luteinizing hormone (LH), and

3) insulin

4) Ultrasound of ovaries.

The treatment is;

a) The drug of choice for inducing ovulation in PCOS is clomiphene citrate.

b) Metformin

c) Coming to optimum weight.

d) Laparoscopic ovarian drilling.

e) Spironolactone, flutamide and finasteride are antiandrogens that work in PCOS by decreasing androgen levels, which can be elevated in patients with PCOS.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

okie dokie

You are very welcome, Leah.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl