OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

If you are pregnant on birth control would there still be…

Customer Question
If you are pregnant...

If you are pregnant on birth control would there still be cramping on the second month you were suppose to have your period? Last month I had my period/light 8 days early and then only had cramping during my placebo pills. And now I have taken three of the placebo pills and am cramping but still no period. Is pregnancy a possibility? I have never missed a pill and I have never had intercouse but I have been fingered before and am worried that maybe some preejaculate was on his fingers.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Not really

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My dad died four months ago so I have been stressed with that

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/9/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

When was the last time you were sexually active?

I’ve never had sex. But my boyfriend did finger me and I’m worried maybe there was Preejaculate on his hands if he adjusted himself
I am on FE 1/20 and haven’t missed any days

From preejaculate it's incredibly unlikely to get pregnant especially when you are on the birth control pills you are on. The cramping likely has more to do with stress/anxiety or just your hormones elevating as you are on the placebo pills. But I don't suspect that this is due to a pregnancy.

but if someone was pregnant on birth control would they be cramping during the placebo pills ?

Yes, they would be having the classic symptoms of a pregnancy with fullness, water retention, morning nausea, and if their pregnancy generally starts with cramping then the BCP wouldn't mask that.

why would I not have a period? I have usually had them while on the pill
Would they be having the cramping the second month into it? Like if they were still taking the birth control and then went on placebos

There are many causes of skipping your period. Stress, weight changes, medications, supplements, sleep changes and diet can all affect your hormones and thus cause you to skip a period on occasion or have multiple period in a month.

No, there almost never is cramps by the second month of a pregnancy.

if I am cramping right now but don’t have a period I shouldn’t be worried about a oreganancy? I know that there is usually no cramps during the second month of a pregnancy but I am worried that maybe because I am still taking the pills that I could be still pregnant and the cramps are just from taking the placebo pills

Correct, then you shouldn't be worried about a pregnancy.

Are you able to do a urine pregnancy test? That would put your mind at ease as well.

As I mentioned, the bills wouldn't mask or decrease cramping.

I know they wouldn’t mask it but could they cause it? Could the drop in hormones from the placebo pills cause my body to cramp?
Also, should I be worried about not having a period? Or is that normal with the fe1/20 pills? I have been on them for a year now

No. The hormone levels in birth control pills are incredibly low and once you have a pregnancy your hormones become very high - so the hormone levels in the birth control pills wouldn't have any effect on your body. The placebo pills are sugar and starch and so they wouldn't have any effect on you at all.

When someone is on birth control pills we always let them know that they could have no periods at all. It's not a cause for concern but if you prefer to have a period then your doc can always change your BCP to one with a little less progesterone which then will allow for the withdrawal bleed when on the placebo pills.

What could be causing the cramps but no period? I usually have withdrawal bleeding when I am on the placebo pills. And just to clarify. You don’t think there could be any chance I am pregnant if I am cramping during my second month of not having withdrawal bleeding? Aka if I was pregnant and still taking the birth control pill pack and began the placebo pills the drop in hormones wouldn’t cause me to cramp while pregnant because you are saying the hormonal if I was pregnant would override that?

Cramps can be caused by fluid retention in the pelvis, it could be a benign ovarian cyst, it could be fibroids that you have which are also benign, birth control pills themselves can cause cramping, being on the sugar pills almost always causes a little cramping because they don't have the hormones which the BCP's were delivering for 3 weeks.

I don't think you are pregnant as I mentioned before.

I understand that, but if I was pregnant and was still taking the bcps and then began taking the sugar pills would I experience cramping?
could the lack of withdrawal bleeding be from my uterine lining being thinned from taking the pills for a year? I have always had withdrawal bleeding so I’m just wondering why i haven’t yet

Yes, when you are on birth control pills it does thin out the uterine lining and that can cause you to have no periods when on the placebo pills.

I would consider switching to a different medication which will have a lower progesterone dose and that will allow you to have the withdrawal bleed. The longer you are on a particular BCP the higher your chance of having no periods.

I understand that, but if I was pregnant and was still taking the bcps and then began taking the sugar pills would I experience cramping during the second set of placebo pills

If you were pregnant and were on the second set of sugar pill then you wouldn't be cramping.

I shouldn’t even be worried about being pregnant?

No, you shouldn't be worried about being pregnant.

If I continue to take this type of birth control and not get withdrawal bleeding will it be normal for me to still get cramps?

Yes, cramps are a normal part of taking birth control pills. Not all cause it but many do.

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD