OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Hie I’m just wondering if my vagina looks normal and if I…

Customer Question
Hie I’m just wondering if...
Hie I’m just wondering if my vagina looks normal and if I can upload a picture. I recently started looking at myself and I’m not sure if what I see is normal
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: OB GYN
1/9/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Hello, and thank you for your question.

Please go ahead and upload a picture.

THE opening looks normal to me but when I open to look at my labia minora is has little things that look lik villi on them . I tested positive for chlamydia in October and got treatment and I went back for a retest because after seeing that I thought it was Herpes or Genital warts and when they tested I was on my period and she took a swab and it was negative. Should I be worried and why does my labia look like that
does that look like herpes? I also noticed that a few months back I was getting those benign cysts on my outer lips

Thank you for the reply.

Your vulva looks very normal . The small irregularities on the labia minora are normal. They are present in younger women like yourself and tend to smoothen out with age.

The small bumps that you see are also normal - they are sebaceous glands. These glands are present on the labia to keep the vagina moist ans supple. They are harmless. They are not due to herpes.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you.

what does herpes or Genital warts look like on a woman and why did I keep getting the cysts
Why does my vagina look like this. Is it herpes
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Herpes would show ulcers and those would be painful and red and the whole area would be a in a lot of pain. If it was HPV then it would be a wart that would be raised and flesh colored.

Nothing on the image you sent shows an STD, neither herpes nor HPV warts.

If you have more detailed pictures where you are seeing something that I can't see in the pictures you sent then please upload those as well.

LET never upland a pictures
LET me upload a picture
Ive uploaded pictures it’s like the skin on my vagina looks entrance is folding

Thank you for the images. From reviewing them I can't appreciate any herpes virus. I see the irregularity of the opening of the vagina but don't see any STD skin changes there.

Is it painful when you touch it? Does it burn when urine touches the area?

I don’t have any symptoms. No burning or itching nothing at all. And when I touch it, it feels like skin. So if it is not STD related what could it be
It’s normal variation of your anatomy. Just like some people’s external genitalia looks different yours looks the way it does. To me it looks quite normal but I’m not sure what you are comparing it to. Looks like normal anatomy of the external labia from the images you uploaded.
Min not necessarily comparing my point is my vaginal entrance never looked like that so if it’s not herpes or warts what is it.? Because it has never looked like the pictures I’v sent .
It’s not based on anatomy unless you’re saying when you get older it changes? But it has never been like that. How is herpes tested? The nurse did a blood test and swab when she saw I had chlamydia . Is a blood test and swab accurate to test for all STDs and STIs secondly if a swab is done whilst on your period will it alter the results
I’m not talking about my labia majora or minora I’m referring to the ENTRANCE

If the skin on the entrance has changed and didn't look like that before then you would need a biopsy of the tissue. If it has always looked that way then it wouldn't be concerning. But if you think the irregularity of the skin is new then the only way to tell what it is is to do a biopsy.

Sure, your skin can change with time but gradually. If the change has been sudden then it warrant a tissue biopsy. Herpes is tested by a skin swab.

Yes, I am referring to the entrance as well, but the entrance fuses with the labia - it's the transition from the labia to the entrance I believe we are both looking at.

What could cause the irregularity of Thebes entrance considering I wasn’t like that months back I also haven’t been sexually active in 6 months

The irregularity that I am seeing in every picture is normal so when you ask what could cause it, it's normal, so nothing caused it necessary but it just appears abnormal to you or it has possibly changed with age. However nothing appears abnormal from the images you uploaded. if you feel that it has changed then I would recommend having a biopsy done because that's the only thing that I can do in my office when my patient is still worried about the irregularity.

I had a swab done and it came back positive with chlamydia then went again for a retest where she took a swab as well as several blood samples which all came back negative. So basically you’re saying you can see the irregularity and it does not look like warts or herpes. That if it’s not herpes or warts it’s just my anatomy?

Correct, I see the irregularity in the imagers and they are normal and no signs of any warts or herpes. It's likely just your perfectly normal anatomy.

WHAt would warts or herpes look like?

genital herpes is small blisters with a very red base. Warts are raised skin bumps with an irregular surface and you get multiple ones next to each other. Warts come on and keep growing in size and in size and you get more and more until it stabilizes. And herpes comes on for 5-7 days and then resolves.

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD