OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had sex for pretty much the first time on December 2nd. We…

Customer Question
Hi! I had sex...

Hi! I had sex for pretty much the first time on December 2nd. We used a condom and he didn’t finish or ejaculate. my period was also Just ending at This time and I may have bled lightly for a day or two after. During it, I felt pain and umcomfortable as expected but there was no bleeding! It’s now January 8th but I have yet to get my period although the past couple of days I’ve been having spontaneous cramp sessions. Does your first time affect or delay your period?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

Well the cramps are uncomfortable my period used to be pretty irregular but started to regular out Over the past year and I have them from usually the 26/27 to the 1/2 of the other

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
1/8/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually having sexual intercourse for the first time on its own does not affect the timing of the period directly HOWEVER the period an be affected by various other factors which can include stress, anxiety, psychological or emotional factors, diet, exercise among other things. Given that your intercourse did not involve ejaculation or even exposure to pre-ejaculate then it is less likely that you are pregnant. The more likely explanation here is a hormonal imbalance which can commonly cause this issue. A hormonal imbalance can occur because of the factors I mentioned above and even simple viral or bacterial illnesses. It is also possible that you may have developed an infection of the genital or urinary tract which is causing the delayed period and that is why a pelvic examination would be necessary if the period does not appear in the next 3-4 days. This would also be helped by getting a urine test and possibly an ultrasound done.

But I would still keep a hormonal imbalance as the first possibility and in most cases, a simple hormonal panel test would be diagnostic. The treatment is usually with medication which corrects the problem with a month or so and your periods become regular again. This is done through oral contraceptive pills which also have the benefit of preventing any unwanted pregnancies.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!