OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I’m currently on my period and twice today I have had a

Customer Question
I’m currently on my...

I’m currently on my period and twice today I have had a thick fatty looking substance come out when I have been to the bathroom, it’s not like a regular period clot

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

I have pain now, and usually regular. I was taking the pill but I started to get my period whilst taking that so I stopped taking it all together yesterday

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a family history of endometriosis

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: OB GYN
1/8/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Hello, and thank you for your question.

I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Thank you for your patience.

The fatty looking substance can be one of two things:

- It could be the uterine lining (endmetrium) which has come out in a single piece. Normally, it comes out in bits and pieces and mixed with blood and blood clots and you may not notice it.

- It could be a vaginal discharge. Yeast infection can cause formation of chunks of vaginal discharge which is thick, fatty looking and similar to yogurt .

In either case, it is normal.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.