OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Dose HIV transmit through ciggrate smoke? No I haven't and…

Customer Question
Dose HIV transmit through...

Dose HIV transmit through ciggrate smoke?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No I haven't and I'm on no medications.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: OB GYN
1/7/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Chip, General practice replied 6 months ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

No, HIV is not transmitted through cigarette smoking or from sharing a cigarette with someone who has HIV

Please let me know if you need any more information

Even if there's blood in the mouth while smoking.

Even then, no it can't be transmitted like that

OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 6 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Please let me know if you need any of this information clarified.
I read online that smoke bonds with saliva so by bonding it doesn't create HIV smoke?
Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor which means that it closes off the vessels on the mouth when it comes into contact with the mucous membranes so it’s unlikely to allow for any absorption of the virus into the system.
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. SH, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor

Would you like me to help you out with your concerns?

Please let me know.

If you are HIV positive and your smoking a cigarette with blood in your mouth dose it transmit ?

HIV is not transmitted in this way because HIV cannot survive in saliva. Also, you would need sores in your mouth and significant amount of blood which is HIV infected going into your mouth and coming in contact with the sores in the mouth for it to be theoretically possible. There is not even a single documented case in literature of such transmission. So I can safely say that even though it may be theoretically possible but it has not happened practically in the real world.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end when you are done asking.
Kindest regards

How long does it take for saliva to kill HIV?

A few minutes.

HIV also dies within a few minutes when exposed to environment.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Kindest regards

Now of your HIV positive and smoking with blood in your nose dose bond and transmit?
Now if your HIV positive and smoking with blood in your nose dose it bond and transmit?

No It does not transmit this way.

Can you please rate me before we proceed.

Thank you

Can you explain to me how it doesn't?
Can you explain how it doesn't?
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

The HIV is not transmitted by this mechanisms because HIV dies upon exposure to the air. This is why HIV is not transmitted by any inanimate object unless the inanimate object is protected from the air. An IV needle is able to transmit HIV because the blood in the hollow needle is not exposed to air. But any blood in the mouth that can get onto a cigarette would be exposed to air and would die.

How long does it take for the HIV blood to die in the nose?

If it is exposed to the air, virtually immediately.

When you have a bloody nose dose it get airborne with​ pathgons ?

No, HIV is not airborne from a nosebleed with other pathogens, at least not as live virus that can be transmitted via airborne transmission, as it dies when it contacts the air.

Is HIV in saliva?

Not in a transmissible form. HIV is not transmissible by saliva.

How long does it take for HIV seamen to die?

As soon as it gets exposed to air.

I know but how many minutes dose it take?

As I said above, HIV dies virtually immediately once it is exposed to air, and that it true for any location.

You do not need to ask for every body orifice and every bodily fluid, it dies virtually immediately once it is exposed to air for any scenario. That is why there has never been a case of transmission from toilet seats, etc.

Okay.

Please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

What if I picked up a box that had dry HIV seamen on it and it gave me purpura of the skin and anal rash and mouth ulcers?
I had a burn on my finger tips when I touched it.