OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I was having an encounter last night and the condom I was…

Customer Question
Hi there. I was...

Hi there. I was having an encounter last night and the condom I was using broke. Isn't there some medication I can take within 48 hours to reduce the risk of contracting AIDS or other diseases?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

Yes. My health is pretty good. I go to the gym 5 times a week and the doctor said my blood pressure was excellent last time I went

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I've got an allergy to dust, Raynod's syndrome in my hands as well as a little excema. That's about it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
1/7/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 4 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

You may take post exposure prophylaxis medicine for preventing HIV.

Please see the reference resource to read about it;

https://www.hiv.gov/hiv-basics/hiv-prevention/using-hiv-medication-to-reduce-risk/post-exposure-prophylaxis

You can take antibiotic Azithromycin for preventing other STDs.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions. It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor