OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Does Keflex typically cause anal itching? I was on the wrong…

Customer Question
Does Keflex typically cause...

Does Keflex typically cause anal itching? I was on the wrong antibiotics for several days before being prescribed reflex for a UTI and the itching has been awful.

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

I had one in 2016. It was normal and I was told I didn't need one until this year. Never had an irregular one.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. I've been pretty healthy thus far in my life.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 4 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Anal itching is not a typical adverse effect of Keflex. Please see the resource;

https://reference.medscape.com/drug/keflex-cephalexin-342490#4

Anal itching occurring in your case may be;

1) Due to Keflex. or

2) Due to previous antibiotic causing yeast / fungal infection.

You may take probiotics and apply over the counter yeast cream for the treatment.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

This itching and discomfort in the anus region can be pruritus ani which is quite a common condition. Excessive cleaning of the perianal area may exacerbate the problem by removing natural protective oils. Itching in the perianal area can also be associated with the presence of

a) hemorrhoids or

b) anal fissures,

c) infections or

d) skin conditions, so examination by a general surgeon and dermatologist would be prudent.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Following can be helpfu for anal itchingl:

1) Referral to a dermatologist and a general surgeon is necessary for the proper management.

2) It is important to keep the perianal area clean but at the same time limit trauma and rough cleaning of the affected area. Thus be as gentle as possible.

3) Avoid using soap. Use QV cleanser or aqueous cream instead.

3) Minimize scratching as much as possible as it may make itching worse

4) Use a non-perfumed cornstarch powder or barrier ointment such as Bepanthen to protect the skin.

4) If moisture is a more resistant problem then consider using a sanitary pad.

5) If the above measures fail then a mild anti-inflammatory cortisone agent (such as Sigmacort 1% ointment or Egocort 1% cream available over the counter) may be required.

6) The dermatologist consultation should categorically rule out psoriasis, contact dermatitis, atopic dermatitis and hidradenitis suppurativa, as these need very specific treatment.

7) Dietary factors like certain foods items can be associated with anal pruritus; these are: coffee, tea, cola, chocolate, tomatoes, and citrus fruits. so they should be avoided.

8) A slight fecal soilage is very important cause for the anal itching. This happens due to a primary abnormality in the internal anal sphincter mechanism. Sleeping with a baby pad is the answer for it. Though some physician recommend biofeedback or Kegel exercises. The best ointment and helpful measure is a 1 percent hydrocortisone cream applied twice daily with keeping it dry. That should take care of it. Give atleast 3-4 weeks for this treatment as changing the local application cream frequently would not be helpful.

Please feel free for your follow up question.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor