OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Ive had a nexplanon implant since jan '17. Ive had regular…

Customer Question
Ive had a nexplanon...

Ive had a nexplanon implant since jan '17. Ive had regular periods since the insertion. In november my ob found a 5cm cyst on my right ovary and a 3cm mass on my uterus. I was given a week prescription of Aygestin. I was informed i would have a heavy period when i stopped the aygestin, thos did not happen. I have not had a period since november 28th. Ive had pregnancy symptoms, but negative hpt. Could my lack of a period be caused by the interaction of the 2 medications? Could I be pregnant?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
1/5/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for the question.

Both Aygestin and Nexplanon are progesterones - they will not interact with each other.

But taking the two together will increase the progesterone level in the body. While stopping the Aygestin should give you a period within 7 days of the last pill, it is likely that the high progesterone level has caused some amount of hormonal imbalance which is preventing the period from occurring.

I do not think that you are pregnant - the nexplanon is a very effective birth control method. Plus, the HPT is also quite accurate and if it is negative after 10 days of the missed period, then pregnancy can be rued out.

Another possibility is that the ovarian cyst is preventing the occurrance of the period.

Please consult your doctor and ask for an ultrasound to check the uterus and the ovaries once again.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.