OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

What would cause a 30 year old woman's labium to be

Customer Question
What would cause a...

What would cause a 30 year old woman's labium to be shriveled and atrophied. Could dehydration be a cause?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

It is my daughter and she just went to the physiotherapist for treatment of a prolapsed bladder. She had a baby delivered by a midwife in March 2017.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Yes she is experiencing a lot of weakness. She has had problems with her digestion so went off of sugar, dairy and red meat, and oats all which cause IBS, bloating and cramping. She feels that her digestion just is not working

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

Mostly since she had the baby. She had some irritable bowel before but had severe diarrrhea about 3 months ago to the point that she went down to 110 lb and she is 5 ft 10 in tall. Baby is now 9 months old and nursing heavily so wondered if her being dehydrated would cause this

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
OB GYN Doctor: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 3 months ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

does she still have periods?

She has been nursing the baby and periods have not returned

severe dehydration can do it

why is she so thin?

She lost weight from diarrhea caused by allergy to oats and dairy and she was nursing a nine month old baby.
She just felt she couldn’t eat enough of the right things to get enough nutrients to keep up. She wasn’t sleeping as baby was waking every couple hours and was upset and hungry

absolutely this is concerning

I think she is very dehydrated and malnourished

she is underweight

Does malnutrition cause young women to enter menopause prematurely

Yes it can.

It can stop periods temporarily

Are you a Specialist of Internal Medicine

yes

What is causing her intestine to have such inflammation and how could she treat this with diet?

It could be celiac disease or crohn's

she needs blood tests for celiac and colonoscopy

Is there a way of preventing crohns diseases if it is early stage

Not preventable but treatable

How would you treat it?

oral steroids

Her condition is more like ulcerative colitis which depletes the body of fluids. What is the difference between this and Crohn’s

They are very similar except UC only affects the colon

The naturopath put her on a GI mix cereal to star her day which stopped the diarrhea but caused problems with the food passing from her stomach to small intestine. What are the best foods for someone like this to start their day with and kick start their metabolism
Would blood in the stool be always present with colitis?

not always

Can this condition be treated partially by reducing stress and learning to remain calm? And are there foods that treat it?

Yes, it can

you can try the fodmap diet too

http://www.fodmapliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Stanford-University-Low-FODMAP-Diet-Handout.pdf

Thanks for this question I strive for 5 star service with all customers If you have more questions, just reply. :)
Thanks for your patience.
What type of oral steroids would be prescribed?

prednisone or 5 ASA

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for this question

I strive for 5 star service with all customers

If you have more questions, just reply. :)

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor