OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I had a question about fertility treatment I was receiving…

Customer Question
I had a question about...
I had a question about fertility treatment I was receiving last year and link to cancer as my sister was just diagnosed with early breast cancer and I am concerned. Is anyone knowledge in this?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
1/5/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 1 month ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. What fertility treatment did you receive ? How old is your sister? What was the ER and PR status of the tumor?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks
So I had four children conceived natural and easily. My oldest is 17 and my youngest is 6. We wanted to try for one more when I was about 36.5 and did not conceive. I decided to consult a fertility specialist to see if there was something that could be done. I knew I would not pursue anything like IVF because I have 4 children thankfully, however I thought maybe there was something less drastic that would help. All my testing was normal except they find I had one blocked tube possibly due to one c-seciton I had with my oldest daughter. The doctor suggested climid as I often ovulated on the blocked side and this would make me ovulate more than one egg and increase chances. I agreed and being that I was ovulating a little too early in my cycle I was placed on low does estrogen patch (one every other day 3 times) and then began climid. I started on 50 mg but only had one egg so then did 100 which gave me 2-3 usually. I did conceive first month on 100 but miscarried so we were encouraged. Then we did 3 more cycles at 100 but did not work. After that I wanted a break, so stopped for 2 months. Then did a 5th cycle (4th on 100 mg dose) with IUI and conceived again but miscarried at 6 weeks. My doctor was happy the IUI worked and said we sold try again so I did one more and conceived but it was a chemical. I then decided to stop because pregnancies were not taking, and lo an behold I conceived the next month naturally...and am now 33 weeks pregnant with baby boy (after our four beautiful daughters). My question is my older sister was just diagnosed with DCIS. She is 49. At first they thought it was contained in the duct but after her surgery they found it had just begun to come out of duct 2 mm, but still basically not even stage 1. I also have my maternal grandmother who had breast cancer in her 60s. I got very nervous now after my sister's diagnosis and although I knew that climid may be linked to ovarian or breast cancer possibly, seemed like it wa sonly if used more than 12 cycles and if never became pregnant so I though I was okay. Now I researched more, even thought its too late, but so many conflicting reports.My question is did the climid place me at greater risk for breast or ovarian cancer? I took 7 cycles total, 1 at 50 and 6 at 100mg with a two month break between cycle 5 and 6.Also did estrogen patches I was taking also increase my risk? I was told its very low dose and very short time frame, and I believe its only a risk if after menopause and for many years but not sure now?Sorry for the long post, but if you can shed any light I would appreciate as I have been quite anxious about this since my sister's diagnosis.
By the way I was 38 when I conceived this baby. I just turned 39. Also just want to add everything I read said they recommend climid for up to 6 months Bec that is certainly safe. My fertility dr. told me climid is safe to take...didnt say untying about risk with prolonged use. Basically I just had one more cycle on it than recommended and one of those was a lower dose, but still concerned.I also just remembered my mother's sister had cancer of uterus lining last yr. Thankfully it was contained and she had a hysterectomy and was fine. Does that affect my risk of uterine cancer?
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD