OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Related to the above. I am perimenopausal (52) and I see…

Customer Question
Hello, related to the...

Hello, related to the above. I am perimenopausal (52) and I see blood in my urine everyday 14 of my cycle, it is usually just during 1 or 2 urinations and I never see it any other time. Can this be a normal variant of perimenopause?

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Good

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a PCOS history, no cyst for roughly 30 years

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: OB GYN
1/5/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

It is not variant of perimenopause. Blood in urine need investigations by following;

1) Urine exam

2) Urine culture

3) Ultrasound

4) Cystoscopy.

You may need a CT scan too.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

The various causes for the bleeding in urine (called as hematuria) can be;

1) Kidney and bladder stones

2) Urinary Tract Obstruction

3) Urinary Tract Trauma

4) Excessive exercise

5) Urinary tract Infection

6) Sickle Cell Disease

7) Kidney and bladder tumor

Read the resource;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/blood-in-urine/DS01013

Urine culture and an ultrasound are the first investigative protocol. Intravenous pyelography, CT scan, cystoscopy, etc may be followed depending on the initial investigative results. The investigation of hematuria begins with a search for bacteriuria (bacteria in urine) or pyuria (pus in urine). If either is present, a urine culture should be ordered to confirm urinary tract infection (UTI). In the absence of infection, the next step is to distinguish glomerular and nonglomerular sources of hematuria. Following would be required in step wise fashion;

1) Intravenous pyelography

2) Multidetector CT urography

3) Cystoscopy (camera examination)

If these investigations are not conclusive for the diagnosis MR urography would be advised. Consulting a urologist would be best.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor