OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I was on viorelle birth control since October. Last month I…

Customer Question
Hello, I was on...

Hello, I was on viorelle birth control since October. Last month I had breakthrough bleeding and then had my period. I started my new pack on schedule, didn't have any btb until week 2 of the pack. My doc changed my pill as of yesterday to Marlissa will it help stop BTB if I double up on the new pill? I go on vacation Sunday for a week and would like to stop the bleeding

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, recently had my annual exam and all is normal

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/4/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 7 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

Taking the pill twice a day can help stop bleeding faster, but it will come with increased side effects such as nausea. Also, you will go through a pill pack in 2 weeks rather than in 4 weeks, so you may end up paying out of pocket for more pills.

If you're only doing it temporarily, you could take the pills twice a day til the bleeding stops, then switch back to once a day. If the bleeding comes back you can start taking it twice a day again.

Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs for me.

If you are satisfied with the response received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

I have been taking the pill twice a day bleeding had stopped now today it’s back again. Should I take three pills to stop it?

You can take a pill 3 times a day and it will stop the bleeding, but it may cause nausea. If your short-term goal is just to stoo the bleeding while you're on vacation, you can absolutely do this. When you return from vacation, you may wish to contact your obgyn to figure out better options for you to control your periods.