OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have menstrual vagina bleeding couple of days prior to my…

Customer Question
I have brown menstrual...

I have brown menstrual vagina bleeding couple of days prior to my period My period is always late hardly early

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Endometriosis and MS and I am 41 and I never have been pregnant due to my infertility issue

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/4/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 4 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

May I ask when your last pap smear/pelvic exam was? Do you typically have a period every month?

no. i usually have late periods very short but heavy and hardly brown.

And when was your last pap smear/pelvic exam?

a year ago.

Thank you.

Brown blood just indicates blood that is old - as in, it has sat in the vagina for a day or two before working its way out. Sometimes at the very beginning of your period, the bleeding starts off so light that there's not even enough of it to quickly push its way out of the vagina, and it just sits in the vagina before eventually working its way out. Bright red blood indicates blood that has recently bled, so as your period becomes heavier, you will start to see more bright red blood.

Nothing you're describing sounds like a red flag, but I always recommend going in for an exam at least once a year to make sure all is well. Good luck to you!

thank you

You're welcome.

If you're satisfied with the response received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN