OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I’m 9 weeks along and took mifepristone at 11:15am today. I…

Customer Question
I’m 9 weeks along and...
I’m 9 weeks along and took mifepristone at 11:15am today. I changed my mind about wanting an abortion. I read one of your other replies that said that if I don’t start bleeding in 6-12 hours, my body might not abort the baby and I could continue the pregnancy. However, I’m worried that if I do start bleeding within 6-12 hours, that there could be complications if I don’t take the second set of pills. Basically I want to know if you’d recommend taking the misoprostl tomorrow on schedule if I start bleeding within 12 hours to avoid having to schedule a surgery to remove the dead fetus.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 6 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. Studies have shown that mifepristone alone is about 75-85% effective in inducing abortion. If the fetus does survive, there is no association with birth defects. Taking the single pill alone increases the risk of a missed abortion, meaning that the fetus dies without being expelled. It has nothing to do with whether or not you start bleeding right away. I cant recommend that you take or dont take the second pill. Its your choice. But I would recommend consulting with the clinic that prescribed it to you prior to making a decision