OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have been prescribed Doxy for a week to treat an STD. I’m…

Customer Question
Hi there. I have...

Hi there. I have been prescribed Doxy for a week to treat an STD. I’m on day 3 now and one day late in my period. I know it’s only a day late but I’m always extremely regular. I took a pregnancy test and it is negative. Does Doxy antibiotics affect the menstrual cycle? Also, should I take my pill back as normal even if my period is late?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

My period are very very regular

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, no allergy, no complication...

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
1/3/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, while doxycycline can affect the menstrual cycle and delay it slightly, it is a relatively rare side effect, it is much more likely that the STD that you have is affecting your cycle. Bacterial or even viral infections anywhere in the body can cause your cycle to be delayed or even come earlier than usual. This is common as these events cause a hormonal imbalance in the body and that leads to the period being delayed or even come early or in some cases lead to heavier bleeding than usual. In fact, simple stress, anxiety, excessive dieting or exercise can all cause your period to be delayed and usually, this hormonal imbalance is corrected once the underlying cause is removed. This means that once your STD is treated the cycle should be regular as it was previously. However, sometimes it can take a month for it to return to the normal time frame.

Now regarding the antibiotic, it should be continued AS prescribed even if your period is late. It should NOT be skipped or shortened, use the antibiotics for the prescribed time frame under all circumstances. If you are on birth control pills, then they can be continued in the same manner that you were taking them before, they will actually help in resetting your cycle as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor