OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Around the week of October 20th I took plan (emergency

Customer Question
Around the week of October...
Around the week of October 20th I took plan b (emergency contraception) 2 times. A couple days after the second time (maybe around 10/26) I got a short period, I have not had a period since, can this contraception mess my cycle up that much? Up until then i had a normal cycle, of course I have beenstressing worrying about it but I have taken many pregnancy tests up until yesterday and all are negative. I just can't beleive it's been two months with no period this hasn't happened before after taking it.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
1/2/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Yes, since plan B is hormone and you have taken it twice it can mess up your cycle and it can take upto 3 months for hormones to regulate to normal levels so nothing much to worry for now, wait and watch and if no period for another month then do see a gynecologist for evaluation. Stress itself can play a role in hormonal imbalance.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

If it doesn't come in another month what could possibly be wrong and what can be done to fix it?

Thanks for the reply.

It is most likely a hormonal imbalance but a thorough evaluation is required to rule out any thing else like ovarian cyst or PCOS which can be the cause and to confirm the diagnosis so that treatment can be suggested accordingly.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor