OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I’m 32 & have PCOS. My husband and I have been trying to…

Customer Question
I’m 32 & have...

I’m 32 & have PCOS. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for almost 4 years. I always have a cycle every month. My cycles are irregular but i always have one every month. My cycle was due around November 17 and it hasn’t come on yet. I have however began spotting a brown colored discharge. Sometimes it’s a pinkish to red color as well. The spotting started November 24th and is still going on now. This is not my norm. I usually have really heavy cycles with multiple clots and cramp really bad. I haven’t had any cramps and this spotting is so small of an amount that I can only tell when I wipe. I have been wearing panty liners since this spotting started and it’s usually just a spot on there when removed and I only need one for the entire day. This is very abnormal and this is the first time this has ever happened. What could this be? Any advice on how to become pregnant?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

The spotting has been going on a little over a month. Nothing makes it worse or better I haven’t tried anything

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/1/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr David, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

have you done a home pregnancy test if you have missed your period this month of december?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I took a pregnancy test last week and it was negative

holiday stress, your pcos can cause irregular periods

most likely because you missed your period in december, you are having some breakthrough bleeding now causing a tiny bit of blood you can tell when you wipe.

your period in january may be a bit heavier if you missed this period

sometimes hanging out with other women, their hormones can affect your cycle and make you more irregular

have you talked to your doctor about metformin which could help you be more insulin sensitive and help you not gain so much weight from pcos.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m not around any females. I didn’t have a cycle November or December & that’s odd. I’ve always had a cycle every month. I’m not and haven’t been under any stress. In 2016 when I had insurance I went to the GYN and she said my uterus and cervix looked good. She started me on famara metformin & my follicles were stimulated she even gave me some kind of shot to help my body release an egg. That was a one time thing though. I’m just a bit concerned because this is new. I never spot. I always have a cycle and it is always heavy and painful. I’ve had no pain and no “true bleeding”

you don't have health insurance now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No l do not. I won’t have insurance until the end of the month.

I see.

you can wait until you get insurance.

irregular periods are very common with pcos, even if you haven't had them before.

your ovaries could be making more androgen hormones or lack of estrogen hormones which can occur with pcos.

are you gaining weight recently?

weight gain could be due to more androgen hormone production from your ovaries.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No recent wt gain

I see.

you do have to wait to see your doctor to be able to get some blood testing to check on your pcos which is most likely causing irregular periods.

Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified