OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I had abdominal surgery on October 5th through my belly

Customer Question
button. I went in a...
I had abdominal surgery on October 5th through my belly button. I went in a week and a half ago because my incision is not healing correctly. They swabbed it and it came back negative for infection she used a medicine on a stick that kinda sealed it off by turning the raw area black. Now it is red and raw again. What could be the cause if it’s not infection?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
1/1/2018
OB GYN Doctor: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 1 month ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

is it tender?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah it is

I suspect this is an infection

You probably have an abscess under the affected area

Did they do an ultrasound?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No she just poked around at it and then swabbed it for the infection test and put the medicine on it to seal it off. Could it still be infection if the swan test came back negative.

Absolutely

skin swabs like this will just pick up skin bacteria

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. She told me to wait two more weeks and then come back in and she would cut it open again and check it out. Should I do something differently? It’s been almost three months

I would follow that advice

it seems like she is in agreement with me though

that there is probably an abscess

an ultrasound would confirm though

no need to cut into it

I would ask for an ultrasound

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What does it take to help an abscess heal?

drainage

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long does that usually take to heal?

usually 1-2 weeks

Thanks for this question

I strive for 5 star service with all customers

If you have more questions, just reply. :)

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor