OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Im a male and I was traveling this week and had intercourse…

Customer Question
Hello. Im a male...

Hello. Im a male and I was traveling this week and had intercourse with a female escort in another country. I used protection but the condom broke. I did not ejaculate.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

Im extremely paranoid and ashamed of the situation. What are my risks?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Yes. I went to an urgent care today and they prescribed me the post exposure meds. I know I’m probably overreacting but I can’t stop thinking about it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr David, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

did you stop intercourse when the condom broke?

did you have vaginal or anal sex?

what post exposure meds? for HIV?

I stopped when I noticed them I washed off and used a new condom.VaginalYes for HIV

I see

that was smart

you don't have to worry about contracting HIV

even unprotected vaginal sex without a condom with a woman with HIV has only a 5 in 10,000 chance of you contracting HIV

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5402a1.htm#tab1

Should I not take the hiv meds?

you have already started to take them

you should just continue them

but I bet you are not HIV positive.

No I haven’t started them.

you probably don't need them.