OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am concerned about a change in the smell of my period. I…

Customer Question
Hello, I am concerned...

Hello, I am concerned about a change in the smell of my period

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have PCOS and have had my period for 15 days now

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/29/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today. I'm sorry you have concerns about your period. Is it a fishy odor? Do you take any medications?

I take 450mg Metformin as a treatment for my PCOS. This month, I have had my period for 15 days now, my flow is very heavy but that isnt a concern as it is normal for me, the thing is, my period smells much different than what it smelled like in the past. Ive noticed the smell since yesterday afternoon.The smell is not fishy at all, it just smells like something starting to rot...I was concerned that I might have left a tampon but ive been really careful and also checked and there is nothing. The blood is bright red but has a foul smell.
OB GYN Doctor: Dr David, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David

I am sorry about your period smell

sometime old blood coming out of the uterus can have a bad odor to it, almost rotting odor

it is better for that old blood to be coming out.

once your period is over, the odor should get better

bad odor is usually not a worry like this.

I take 450mg Metformin as a treatment for my PCOS. This month, I have had my period for 15 days now, my flow is very heavy but that isnt a concern as it is normal for me, the thing is, my period smells much different than what it smelled like in the past. Ive noticed the smell since yesterday afternoon.The smell is not fishy at all, it just smells like something starting to rot...I was concerned that I might have left a tampon but ive been really careful and also checked and there is nothing. The blood is bright red but has a foul smell.it shouldnt be old blood, since it is bright red. In the past, my period has never smelled like this.

changes in your diet can affect period odor and blood odor

old blood can still come out and look bright red.

Im 25 years old, have had my period since II was 13, this foul smell has never happened before.

I understand.

a rotting odor doesn't mean there is something wrong

it doesn't mean you have an infection or disease.

it can be just the nature of the blood coming out.

and the uterus shedding the internal lining.

Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified