OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I got a papsmear back and it said, Endocervical and/or

Customer Question
Hello Pearl, I got...

Hello Pearl, I got a papsmear back and it said, Endocervical and/or squamous metaplastic
cells (endocervical component) are present - what does this mean

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Fatigue, but my iron is low @ 8 no loss of appetite, no fever or rash

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

Yes, some shortness of breath at times

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No I am reasonably in good health. Last August 2016 my hemoglobin got as low as 5.0. I have some tiny spots on my liver - i dont smoke or drink.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/28/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr David, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

here was the diagnosis: EPITHELIAL CELL ABNORMALITY.
RARE ATYPICAL SQUAMOUS CELLS OF UNDETERMINED SIGNIFICANCE.
REACTIVE CELLULAR CHANGES AND/OR REPAIR ARE PRESENT.

how old are you?

metaplastic cells are cells which have begun to change, usually due to long term irritation or infection of the area.

change into cells which look like they don't come from that area.

the endocervix inside of the cervix should have transitional cells transitioning from adeno to squamous cells

if the cervix has had long term irritation, the endocervix can transition into a squamous lining to try to protect the cervix.

49
Does this mean I am more prone to cervical cancer

i see.

loss of estrogen, menopause, can cause cells to change in the cervix.

when was your last pap smear?

this doesn't mean you will get cervical cancer

but you should get a repeat pap in 6-12 months again to keep checking on this area.

your gyn doctor may also recommend a biopsy or cervical conization procedure to sample more cells there.

Ok great. She ordered a biopsy and that came back normal. I just wanted another opinion.
my last pap was in june 2017
Well if I am in menopause, I wish my body would hurry up and get there. lol

:)

I'm glad a biopsy was normal

I am a cancer doctor.

it sounds like you have a good gyn doctor.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

do you have other questions?

Thank you!

you are welcome

do you see the ratings area?

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Sorry. Had a family emergency. I will rate our interaction now. Thanks again

do you see the ratings area?

Dr David
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor