OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a 3 year old who came back from out of town on

Customer Question
Tuesday with a very itchy...
I have a 3 year old who came back from out of town on Tuesday with a very itchy vagina, she also said it burned inside of her. Very red. No urgent clinic will see her. What can I do?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/27/2017
OB GYN Doctor: MD doc, Doctor replied 6 months ago
MD doc
MD doc, Doctor

Welcome to just answer

I am Dr Gupta, board certified Pediatrician and practicing since last 18 years

The commonest cause of itchy vagina at this age is -

- reaction to a chemical like soap, perfume, fabric softner

- bacterial infection, if area is not cleaned properly after potty or if cleaning is done by wiping from anus to vagina

- if a child has stuck something like crayon or toilet paper etc in the vagina

- rarely pin worms etc

The measures that you can take at home are -

- clean her vaginal area with plain water. Do not use any soaps or other chemicals

- always clean from front to back towards the anus while cleaning her private area

- she should wear only cotton underwear and change it frequently if it gets soiled

- look for any foreign body stuck in her vagina

- give her oral anti-allergy syrup like cetrezine in recommended dose (available OTC)

- give her syrup like ibuprofen again in recommended dose to reduce the redness

- a rare cause is a sexual abuse of a child, please do rule that out just to be on safer side

A mild allergy should improve with above treatment. If she has a bacterial infection, she would need to be examined by her pediatrician and would need antibiotics.

Hope this information is helpful

Regards