OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I am 54 and post menopausal for 4 years. I have terrible…

Hi Pearl. I am...

Hi Pearl. I am 54 and post menopausal for 4 years. I have terrible itching and burning just on my clitoris. It's so embarrassing. I have no discharge of any sort. I'm not sure what to do.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

4 months at minimum

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

During intercourse it feels like glass

12/27/2017
Dr. Vakul Aren

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.In post menopausal women,hormonal changes are resposnsible for a lot of symptoms.Though itching and burning is usually associated with a fungal infection(infact the use of antifungal crams like Lotrimin/Clotrimazole would be correct ),but lack of oestrogen may also be responsible for this.Aging will also cause changes in the vulva,lichen planus/sclerosus,Psoraisi,allergy to soaps/detergents /female hygiene products containing perfume/allergy to KY jellyand allergy to latex in condoms or condom lubricants may be the cause.You need the help of your Gynaecologist who can examine you and guide you further after examining and investigating you..Using an antifungal cream initially will probably be right.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would get therapy work. I have thinning of the skin around the vulgar area and me Dr prescribed it last year but I didn't use it

Yes,it would definitely help.

Dr. Vakul Aren
Dr. Vakul Aren
Dr. Vakul Aren
Dr. Vakul Aren, Doctor