OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

If u have given blood that means that u dont carry any stds…

Customer Question
If u have given blood...
If u have given blood that means that u dont carry any stds because it is tested is that right
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/25/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

This is only partly right.

It is true that all donated blood is checked for the STD germs that are also transmissible via blood, such as HIV and hepatitis B & C. But there are a number of other STDs that are not checked, such as gonorrhea, chlamydia and genital herpes.

I frequently tell patients that are anxious about HIV or hepatitis that they can simply go and donate blood regularly, and they can know that they are being checked regularly for these viruses. But if anyone wants to be certain that they do not have any STDs, they would need to get specific testing for the majority of the STDs.

It is also worth noting that there is no good method for testing for certain STDs, particularly HPV in males. So even if someone gets comprehensive testing, that can test for most STDs, but there is no amount of testing that can say that someone does not carry any STDs.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor