OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 38 yo female, I have a history of gynaecology

Customer Question
problems, mainly extensive fybroids. At...
I am a 38 yo female, I have a history of gynaecology problems, mainly extensive fybroids. At the moment I have 2 fybroids (not very big). I have been having a lot of lower tummy pain. Then suddenly I had this sharp pain in my vagina like something was trying to pass. It felt like a load of needles passing down my vagina. I am it pregnant. I am worried as never had this pain before. Not sexually active, no chance of std.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/23/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 6 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Thank you for this information. You're not sexually active so it's not a pregnancy. But please describe the pain a little more to me. It happened today or ....? And how long did it last, how do you feel now?

When this pain came, did you feel anything in the back? How have your periods been?

The pain is like a bunch of needles, very sharp trying to push its way out. And general pain on top. I actually thought I was going to pass something on the toilet. It is still painful though not as severe. It happened today. I also have pelvic pain. The initial pain lasted about three minutes. No pain in back. I have not had periods for approx 5 months. The doctor is aware and says might be stress.

The other causes of such a severe pain and which also goes quite often along with fibroids in the uterus is endometriosis. It's not an easy diagnosis to make but your doctor can screen you for this. What you're describing sounds as though it could be an ovarian cyst. This isn't anything severe if the pain is slowly subsiding but if not then it would be prudent to have an ultrasound or a pelvic exam done to see if there is a cyst that ruptured and hence caused the pain.

Have you ever been diagnosed with anything such as polycystic ovarian syndrome?

I have polycystic ovaries and I was negative for endometriosis when I had a laproscopy. I’m used to pelvic pain it’s just the pain inside my vagina about 2 inches below my uterus. With all my history I have never had anything like this.

The pain you're describing sounds like it could be an ovarian cyst issue - please let me know if you have any questions about this that I can expand on further.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please click the rating button when you get a chance.

-Dr. Mo