OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

If it says non reactive FTA-ABS and RPR 1:1 then RPR DX

Customer Question
If it says non...

If it says non reactive FTA-ABS and RPR 1:1 then RPR DX W/Refl tiger and is reactive

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

Once it was abnormal then said everything was fine

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had surgery for my breast and was tested positive for std due to my partner going outside of us Has polyp in utureus as well

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Also when I received the results I sent first they informed me it was high and needed to take treatment today
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/23/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 3 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified ob gyn here.

Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

So it sounds like you were tested for syphilis, and from the best I can tell from the results as you've described them, you do not have it.

We typically start by testing the RPR. This is a common screening test for syphilis in the blood. With a negative RPR, we can be very sure that someone does not have syphilis, but with a positive RPR (which yours was reactive, meaning positive), we can't be totally sure that somebody actually has syphilis, because there are many, many causes for "false positives" on the RPR. (Meaning, you can test positive on the RPR without actually having syphilis.)

So when we see an RPR that turns reactive (or positive), we do more testing for syphilis. That would be the FTA-antibodies, which is a more sensitive test. Yours was negative (non-reactive), indicating that you do not seem to have it. This is typically how the testing does. Is this in line with what you were told?

No she told me it was high and needed to be treated today. They gave me to shots and said I have to come back the next two fridays to be treated. What do I do if falsely diagnosed
two*
receive the same amounts

Ah I see.

I'm afraid my knowledge of syphilis is not as in depth as your situation requires, and I will opt out so that someone more knowledgeable than I on this particular subject can help you.

I wish you all the best of luck.

OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 3 months ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hi, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Dr Ted Manos M.D., board certified obgyn and I can respond shortly.
I’ve had many patients over the years with the screening RPR coming back positive. I also knew that an RPR titer of >1:8 was probably syphilis and your 1:1 titer was borderline. Testing a small amount of your serum showed something. Diluting your serum with an equal amount of clear reagent now was 1:2 dilution and your sample now detected no significant RPR. Diluting your specimen two more times would still be negative. In syphilis, the RPR is detectable after three dilutions or >than 1:8 dilution. The FTA-ABS is specific for syphilis and you didn’t have the specific factor, thus no syphilis. A long list of different infections may cause a slightly elevated RPR. A 1:1 dilution is minimal for any significant problem. Your healthcare providers need to be clear about my information that has been used for many decades. From what you stated about your tests, don’t show syphilis. Thanks again for using Justanswer.
I’d appreciate to know if your satisfied with my response
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN