OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am concerned with my vaginal discharge, yesterday it was…

Customer Question
Hi I am concerned...

Hi I am concerned with my vaginal discharge, yesterday it was very thick, a little pinkish, and had a foul smell, today the same thing happened except it was more discharge than I am use to, I did miss a birth control pill on Thursday but I took two this morning, I also had unprotected sex Wednesday night, any idea what could be causing the unusual discharge?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

Yes this is the first time, and overall I am healthy, no issus

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/22/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 5 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Reviewing your Q and will be with you shortly.

Okay
How much longer?

There are many things that can cause vaginal discharge and odor.

- First, I would make sure you are up to date on your pap smear and have STD testing if you are possibly at risk for an STD (recent new partner, etc).

- If you missed your pill yesterday but took 2 today, this could certainly lead to the pinkish (which indicates tinge of blood) discharge due to the inconsistent hormone intake from missing a pill then taking a double dose.

- There is a normal population of bacteria that live in the vagina. If that population of bacteria gets out of balance (ie one type of bacteria out grows the rest) it can lead to discharge and irritation. Things that you can do to keep the vaginal bacteria balanced and healthy are:

- Eat a cup of Activia yogurt per day. This is a good way to replenish the healthy bacteria in the vagina.

- No tub baths, just showers. Use an unscented Dove bar and let soapy water run over the area. No Vagisil, douches, or vaginal cleansing products as these can in the long run increase irritation.

- Use an unscented for sensitive skin laundry detergent for your underwear.

- Leave your underwear off at night to let air circulate.

Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs for me.

If you are satisfied with the response provided please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN