OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

My labia minors is swollen. Since yesteray after i had

Customer Question
Hello my labia minors...

Hello my labia minors is swollen

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

Since yesteray after i had unprotected intercourse with my boyfriend

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
prior to having intercourse , there was foreplay and I believe he transferred bacteria from around my anus to my vagina and my other parts, i’m wondering if this might be the reason why ?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/22/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Onlinedoc, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

Please provide some additional information.

What is your age?

Do you suffer from pain, itching?

Vaginal discharge?

Burning during urination?

Any lump formation?

Are you taking any medicines?

Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.
I will post back to the reply/answer momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

i’m 17 years, i don’t suffer from pain but it’s very uncomfortable. I do have vaginal discharge, no burning during urination nor lump formation and i’m on birth control.

Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
As per your description, the most common cause of this happening is vaginal dryness.

If there is not enough vaginal moisture during intercourse, the labia minora experience a great deal of friction and eventually inflammation and possibly trauma depending on how long the intercourse went on and how moisture was lacking.

Now I would advise you some self-care remedies which you can try.

Cool water sitz bath with an antiseptic solution for 15 minutes twice a day.

An application of OTC 0.5% hydrocortisone cream with Lotrimin cream.

Wear loose-fitting cotton fabric panties.

Take OTC Advil and Allegra for 3-5 days.

Abstain from sexual activities for a week.

Use a lubricant to reduce friction during sex.
Add yogurt (with live active cultures) and probiotics in your diet.

Stay away from perfumed detergents, soaps, and feminine products.

Don’t douche.

If your vaginal discharge is getting thick, itching then anti-fungal medicines can be required.

"I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).
We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

thank you very much and how long do you think it’ll take for the swelling to reduce. Also forgot to mention the labia is a bit red. In addition do you think i could have a yeast infection?

Thank you for replying back.

Your symptoms will relieve in few days to a week if you continue such remedies.

If you have a cottage cheese like thick discharge and intense itching then it can be a yeast infection.

Still, I have advised you to use OTC Lotrimin cream for a safe side.

Don't miss probiotic along with it.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.
Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Please leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars above the chat box if you are satisfied with our conversation.
Waiting for your reply.

Respected customer,
Do you have any other follow up question?
May I help you more?
Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Waiting for your reply.

The tip of my labia minora is dry and itches when it comes in contact with anything

Thank you for replying back.

It is due to inflammation.

And cool water sitz bath and Hydrocortisone cream would help you in this case.

Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Waiting for your reply.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor