OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had abdominal surgery through my belly button on October…

Customer Question
I had abdominal surgery through...
I had abdominal surgery through my belly button on October 5th. The incision kept getting infected until some of the thread finally came out of the incision. It looked like it started to finally heal about three weeks ago and now it is very inflamed and soar and leaking liquid and soar below the belly button. Is this something to go to the Er for?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/20/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Chip, General practice replied 5 months ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

You've definitely got an infection there

But unless you have a fever or severe abdominal pain this isn't an ER situation

But you'll need to have your doctor see this as soon as possible for a course of oral antibiotics

Please let me know if you need any more information

Would there be another reason it continually keeps getting infected? It’s been over two months and it’s still not healed

There may still be part of a suture inside there so your doctor needs to check for that

Do they cut it open again for that?

It may take a small incision under local anesthesia to do that--not major surgery

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

after they get the remaining suture out then t should heal completely?

Sorry for the delay

Yes--then it will heal nicely

What is the healing time after something like that? Would I also have the weight lifting restrictions again while it heals?

No weight lifting restrictions--this isn't going to involve your abdominal wall muscles

The healing time would be less than a week

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice