OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Started off as just itching after I shaved pubic area (had…

Customer Question
Started off as just...

Started off as just itching after I shaved pubic area (had been years) after a week the growth was ridiculously itchy.. it was so bad and the scratching made me get like welts... this has since now starting to spread down onto my thigh area.. just bumps here and there.. what I’m the World is going on???

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

When I put anti itch allergy cream.. I even went as far as using Lotrimin because I read that even girls get “jock itch” but once cream wears off or comes off then the itching will make me want to scratch again.. it’s like a never ending cycle

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No.. not allergic to anything that I know of..like I said it started after I shaved after many years of not doing so and the hair growth was so itchy

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/20/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Pravin, Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

You can upload the photo on www.photobucket.com and send me the link

Other method of uploading photo or a file is:

1.Click the paperclip icon

2.Click the Browse icon

3.Click the Browse button

4.Select your file and click Open

5.Click OK

6.Click Insert

7.Click Save Changes on this page

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

The areas have hydrocortisone on them for the itching.. it’s the only thing that has helped so far. I don’t know if it was the razor used or the hard scratching done with my nails?? Dermatitis.. i just need answers :(

Thank you very much for the photos sent.

It looks like you have got a severe razor burn or irritant contact dermatitis with a hell lot of irritation.

This is spreading as the irritation is not under control.

My suggestion to you would be to take an oral medication called Claritine twice a day for 10 days to reduce the itch and consequent inflammation.

You can apply Hydrocortisone 1% but mix it with Mupirocin ointment for a better anti inflammatory effect.

You can cleanse the area with OTC Cetaphil cleansing lotion and apply a soothing Baume called Atoderm Intensive Baume from Bioderma which is available through online purchase.

Do not put Lotrimin as it would be of no use and may further exacerbate your irritation.

Wear loose cotton under garment.

Avoid friction on the area. Application of a cold ice pack rolled in a towel will help giving you further relief. Do not shave the area or apply Dettol on the area for atleast a month.