OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I was operated 5yrs. ago and my uterus and right fallopian…

Hi! this is Emely...

Hi! this is Emely. I was operated 5yrs. ago and my uterus and right fallopian tube were taken out so I didn't have my menstruation but why is it that within this past 8 days there is a bit of spotting in my underwear brownish in color. I feel worried about this. Can you give me an explanation on this.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

No. I don't have a period anymore after my uterus was removed but how come that I have this?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Right fallopian tube was removed 8 yrs.ago and my uterus was 5 yrs. ago

12/19/2017
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

You could be having bleeding from the top of the vagina, which was sewn together after the uterus was removed. Sometimes we can get something called "granulation tissue" which is a type of scar that can bleed. The brownish discharge usually indicates blood (blood turns brown once it's been exposed to the air for a while, such as sitting up at the top of the vagina). Only rarely could the bleeding indicate a serious problem.

All that being said, it's definitely a good idea to let the gynecologist do a good exam to make sure all is well in the vagina.

Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs for me.

If you are satisfied with the response provided please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN