OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am experiencing very abnormal periods. I had a period last…

Customer Question
I am experiencing very...

I am experiencing very abnormal periods. I had a period last month and it was pretty light, then when I thought it was ending it didn’t but suddenly got extremely heavy, so heavy I cited the leave the house. I soaked through super tampons in 10-20 minutes. That lasted a few days and everything stopped for about 3 weeks, now just yesterday it began Again super heavy periods I bleed through a super tamping, and a maxi pad and my clothes into the seat or wherever I am. It’s really heavy. I also have a headache don’t know if it’s related

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

Yes I have pretty bad cramping

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I just finished taking medication for a bladder infection I don’t know if that’s related as well I’m 35 and have two children

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/19/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 5 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there! Board-certified obgyn here. I apologize that you had to wait but I am here now to help. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

Heavy bleeding can be really scary and stressful. If you're having a headache it's probably because of the blood loss you've experienced today with the really heavy bleeding.

Anything that affects our hormones can affect our periods - that includes stress, what we're eating, how much we're sleeping, etc. That being said, given how heavy your bleeding has been (soaking through your clothes), I would really recommend letting a gynecologist take a look at you to make sure all is well. I would recommend an ultrasound to take a good look at the uterus and ovaries, and some bloodwork to make sure your blood count is not too decreased from this bleeding and to make sure there's no hormonal problems causing this bleeding.

Sometimes, even if the all the testing comes back normal, you can just be having a random bad month and this heavy bleeding may never come back again. Or, it could be that you have heavy bleeding like this every once in a while. If the heavy bleeding persists, you can talk to your gynecologist about treatment options for the heavy bleeding.

Also in general, I do recommend seeing the doc anyway to make sure your up to date on your pap smear.

Thank you, ***** ***** the second time that i have experienced this in a month, this is my third period in the last two months. I was debating whether to go to er tonight. Thank you very much for your Input it helped alleviate a little of the fear.

Do you have a gynecologist who can get you in quickly, like tomorrow? This is important enough to be seen pretty quickly. Reasons to go the ER would be - if you start to feel worse, or if blood is just uncontrollably pouring out of you.

I just cancelled my Insurance recently so I don’t have a regular doctor anymore. I do have one I had seen before recently for a pap. I don’t know if I could get an appointment to see her tomorrow or not. I do feel blood basically pouring out. It bled through to the car seat while I was driving, I had to change pants 4 times so far, that’s with wearing a tampon and a maxi pad.

I think if you're bleeding that heavily, you need to go to the ER to make sure your blood count is OK. I hate for you to incur the costs but your bleeding does sound very, very heavy.

Ok I think I will then, my headache is getting worse and I just don’t feel right. Thank you very much. I just didn’t know if this was something I could put off and hope it goes away or not but it definitely seems very abnormal.

If you're not feeling right, please go. It could indicate anemia. Hopefully they'll tell you everything is OK but hopefully they can at least point you in the right direction for treatment options.

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN