OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I was hoping to get more of a big picture view point of

Customer Question
whats going on and hope...
I was hoping to get more of a big picture view point of whats going on and hope you can help.
-I gave birth 6 weeks ago and dealt with blood pressure problems that seem to be stabilized at this point but remain high and I am on zoloft for anxiety which perpetuates all of this.2 weeks ago: went into ER for severe abdominal pain and received an ultrasound and was told there might be trace particles of birth left over which would require a DNC and they thought I had a UTI and gave me IV antibiotics which caused the pain to go away.1 1/2 week ago: I was experiencing upper abdominal pain in the middle, right, and left sides. Went to GI and was told it was probably just muscle spasms and they prescribed me a blue pill that is meant to relax the muscles in the GI track. I didn't want to take additional meds since I was on HTCZ, Zoloft, and Procardia so I just never took the meds thinking that muscle spasms aren't a big deal and I can live with that.1 week ago: I started having pressure in my rectum area and within and assumed I had hemorrhoids, upper abdominal pain continued. PA said try and take the meds prescribed see if it helps all of this. She also had me complete a pelvic and abdominal ultrasound that I was told came back normal with fluid in my abdomen which I was told is probably due to birth and not a big deal. So i decided to take the medicine and there has been no change in the amount of pain I am feeling.2 days ago: Wake up in the middle of the night unable to sit, walk, bend over, urinate, or have a bowel movement due to sharp pain in my uterus and rectum as well as continued upper abdominal pain and vaginal bleeding began again.I was able to schedule a visit with my GI again and they determined I should have a colonoscopy this up coming Monday but said prescription should help with GI pain, which it still has not.1 day ago: I went to OBGYN for continued pain and she pressed on my uterus and said it was firm and too tender and thought I had a uterus infection and started me on amoxi/clv/ potassum antibiotic and was told within 24 hours some of the pain should let up IF this was a uterus infection.Today: Went to an urgent care clinic because my knee was swollen in the back and my leg and foot went numb, wasn't super concerned but since I am postpartum wanted to get it checked out just incase . They did sonogram of leg found nothing, did a urine culture said it was negative, and did WBC and said my blood cells aren't elevated but my Ddimer tests was slightly elevated. This doctor was great and sat and talked with me for a while. He wanted me to go to an ER request an abdominal MRI if the pain continued throughout the day.Regardless I am still feeling extreme pain and I am at a loss at to what my path should be medically. Should I go to the ER should I just wait out the antibiotics and hope my pain will subside? I am more worried that I have lost 40 lbs in the last 3 weeks and have lost my appetite and I am afraid my OBGYN/GI doctors are looking at this very narrowly specific to their profession only and my primary care doctor is telling me just to refer to my OBGYN/GI doctors. If you have any advice on the best way to proceed or advocate I would appreciate your input.Kindest regards,Tonja
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/17/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Vakul Aren

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and i will help with your query.Yes,you need to go to the ER ASAP.You can tell them the history and request for an MRI Scan abdomen to get to the root of the matter.A second opinion of another Gynaecologist should also be sought,a per vaginum examination should also be requested to rule out any retained products and any uterine infection.You probably need hospitalisation for a few days till your problems settle down.

I went to ER and they said they would only preform a CT because a MRI wouldn't give a good reading on things like appendicitis and other pelvic issues. I was sent home with pain meds after my labs looked normal. Do you have a recommended course of action? What would cause normal lab results but painful urination and bowel movements with no elevated WBC?

A uretric calculi or renal colic can cause similar symptoms,.What did the CT Scan reveal?

I refused the CT because I have already had so many within the past year that I was unwilling to expose myself to more radiation.

Apparently you are scheduled for a colonoscopy which will reveal if there are any problems with the large bowel.Anxiety can play a big role in a most of these symptoms,I think a Gynaecological review with a per vaginum examination will help diagnose your problem.Please do take the muscle relaxants as they should help with the abdominal pains.