OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have been on seasonique for over 12 years and I just

Customer Question
Hi I have been...

Hi I have been on seasonique for over 12 years and I just started taking Zoloft 5 weeks ago I also have the copper Paragard IUD as back up but don't fully trust IUD's anyway my question is the Zoloft has been causing loose/soft stool for the past 2 weeks like clockwork every morning around 5-6 am I have soft stool that looks like cow pie sorry for the tmi then about 20-30 after that a little more soft stool but not as bad and nothing the rest of the day or night until morning again I take my Zoloft at 4:30 am and my birth control at 8:00 pm I am worried that the loose stool every morning it might effect the absorption of my birth control.

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

All Normal I did recently find out I have 2 small fibroids my last pap was January

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I just started taking Zoloft 5 weeks ago for anxiety

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/16/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr Anil Kumar

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Diarrhoea is a common side effect of Zoloft.

There is no evidence that zoloft decrease the contraceptive effectiveness of the birth control pill because they do not lead to lower levels of hormones.

So i do think you should not worry about the effectiveness of birth control pill at all.

Probably the pill you take at 8.00 P.M has plenty of time to get absorbed in the system.

Also you are using IUD as well.
So don't worry about pregnancy.

Thanks

I wish for your good health.
Please do not forget to leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars if you are satisfied with our conversation. A bonus is highly appreciated.
We can continue our conversation even after you provide a rating.
Kind Regards
Dr.Anil

Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor