OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I had a screening mammogram and ABVS ultrasound screening…

Customer Question
I had a screening...

I had a screening mammogram and ABVS ultrasound screening this week. I received a letter saying the ABVS was normal. A second letter, signed by a different radiologist, regarding only the mammogram, requested additional images. I am 47 and have dense breasts. This was my first visit to a different mammogram center and they did not have my previous mammograms. Wouldn't the same radiologist review the mammogram and ABVS ultrasound together? Is one test more likely to be accurate than the other? How scared should I be about being asked to return for more mammogram images?

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

Last week. Never abnormal. How is this related to mammograms?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/15/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 2 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Let me at the outset tell you that when an additional mammogram views are ordered; that does not mean any abnormality. It is just to confirm normalacy especially comparing it with previous mammogram. Breast is a dynamic organ which has lot of hormonal changes and thus their can be physiological changes not seen previously. These need to be confirmed by the additional images.

Neither of the medical imaging; ABVS ultrasound or mammogram have an advantage over the other. But yes, together they can be more conclusive and a single radiologist should take consideration of both in the light of any change.

You should not be scared at all for the additional images.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Does the normal result from the ABVS test make it any more likely that there is actually nothing wrong and that the reason more mommogram images are needed will turn out not to be cancer? I'm still feeling worried and upset.
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

You are exactly right. I have looked through the research. There are several large studies that say AVBS are much better. ABVS can provide additional information in the differential diagnosis of a lesion. It has significantly higher sensitivity than mammography.

I am still looking through the research

another article states that breast density is an increasingly pertinent issue in breast cancer diagnosis. Breast density results in a decrease in the sensitivity of mammography for cancer detection, with a significant increase in the risk of breast cancer. Ultrasound and ABVS detects additional cancers.

Combining mammography with ABUS, compared with mammography alone, significantly improved readers' detection of breast cancers in women with dense breast tissue without substantially affecting specificity.

So you need to call the imaging center today and let me them know the conflict. You should request additional information on why this happened so it does not happen to anyone else.

Let me know if you have other questions.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I hope you received my previous answer

Dr. Scott, Doctor