OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

For the past two weeks (around my time of ovulation) I've…

Customer Question
For the past two weeks...
For the past two weeks (around my time of ovulation) I've been feeling especially gas-y and bloated on my left side. I thought it was related to my cycle but I've just finished my period and the issue is still happening, and in fact has gotten worse. Every day I have at least one, sometimes more, bouts of gas pain/bloating on my left side. Some of my stools have been looser and more yellow than usual, and although it helps, passing stool doesn't seem to make the feeling go away entirely. It feels like I have bad gas but I can't pass it (even when I try). I have an ultrasound scheduled in a couple of weeks but I'm getting nervous which is making everything worse. Any insight you can provide would be helpful.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/14/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 5 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Reviewing your question and will be with you shortly.

None of the symptoms that you are describing sound like a red flag for any cancer or bad diagnosis. I think the ultrasound is a great idea (this will evaluate your uterus and ovaries) and you may wish to talk to your doc about a test called a colonoscopy. This is a test to visualize the inside of the rectum and colon to make sure all is well. Your colon does travel along the Left side of your pelvis before it goes to the midline and empties out (that part of the bowel is known as the rectum). Because of the changes in your bowels and bloating/gas you're experiencing, it may not be a bad idea to have the evaluation of your colon and rectum.

I made the mistake of googling my symptoms and now I’m convinced it’s pancreatic cancer.

Oh dear! Google can be quite scary!

Pancreatic cancer, while devastating, is rare, thankfully. The most common symptoms are pain (in middle upper abdomen), jaundice (yellow coloring of skin/eyes) and weight loss. It can be really overwhelming finding things on the Internet, but I do recommend taking things one step at a time. Start by seeing a doc and having an exam. Next step is the ultrasound. Some basic bloodwork can assure you that all is well on the inside. Take things one day at a time.

Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs for me.

If you are satisfied with the responses received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN