OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have recently had a miscarriage, then took the pill for…

Hi there! I have...

Hi there! I have recently had a miscarriage, then took the pill for two months, and since then I have had very liquid, runny period - more like a nosebleed than what I am used to. Also, they have been shorter, 25 days rather than 28 days. Is there anything I can do about this? I am worried that the runny bleeding and shorter cycle will make it harder for me to get pregnant. Thank you!

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

I have a record of all my periods

12/14/2017
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Hello, welcome and thank you for

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Thank you. I am 36 by the way. No history of early menopause in the family.

Thank you for your patience.

It is normal for the period to change after a miscarriage. This is because of the hormonal imbalance which occurs around this time. It can take up to 3 months for the menstrual cycle to stabilize.

Periods can also change after going off the period.

A runny period with a shorter menstrual cycle could mean that you are not ovulating (release of an ovum from the ovaries). This causes the level of progesterone to be lower in the blood leading to a shorter cycle and less blood. If blood flow is less, there will be less clots and the period will be runny.

You can an ovulation kit present in most medical stores to check if you are ovulating. If not, please consult a doctor for medicines to stimulate your ovaries.

Not ovulating regularly will make it difficult for you to become pregnant.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on 5 stars to leave feedback.

Thank you.

I have positive OPK and lots of egg white cervical mucus. Also, the periods are very heavy and runny, soaking many pads a day for the first 2-3 days. So I feel I am ovulating but then this strange period happens. I had one normal period after the miscarriage and have only had these two runny periods after going off the pill.

A positive OPK and runny egg white cervical mucus does indicate a ovulation. But a runny blood flow with minimal blood clots is usually indicative of a low progesterone.

It may take upto 3 months for the hormonal levels to balance out after going off the pill.

Please wait for another month and see if the blood flow becomes normal. If not, you may need to take progesterone pills like Medroxyprogesterone in the later half of the menstrual cycle.

A runny period usually does not prevent conception but progesterone in the later half of the cycle will improve your chances of implantation.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you.

I am sorry that you did not find my answer satisfactory and left a negative rating. Did you require more information or more help?

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar