OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Iam a 40 year old women and I starting taking birth control…

Customer Question
Iam a 40 year...

Iam a 40 year old women and I starting taking birth control ( the pill) and was having a lot of brown discharge but my doctor keep me on it for 3 months before switching. It was very low dose. He then switched me to Yasmin but I was still having some break through bleeding. The doctor switched me again to Triquilar 28 which I started right away with out finishing my other pack of Yasmin which was a week ago. The last few days I have had brown discharge and today I had some blood. I want to have a birth control that does not cause break through blood and I can easily skip my period if needed. PLwa

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

I have very mild discomfort but nothing to bad, My period are regular except for the break through bleeding before and after my period that last days before and after.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was told on my last pap test that I have abnormal cells but I am getting another test for that soon.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/11/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today. I'm sorry that you are experiencing break-through bleeding even after several BC pill changes. All of the pills you have been on are combination (progesterone and estrogen). Discuss getting a progesterone only medication with your doctor. This should help with both breakthrough bleeding and control periods for 3 months (injection needed every 3 months instead of taking pills daily). From your description, a repeat PAP smear is recommended and hopefully be totally normal this time.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Any additional thoughts, questions?

Dr Stan
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor