OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have a IUD copper one. Today checking the string I noticed…

Customer Question
I have a IUD...

I have a IUD copper one. Today checking the string I noticed my cervix hanging down like a thumb size finger. What does this mean?

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

It was last year I have never had a irregular one

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing healthy person

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/11/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 2 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

When was your last period and did you have any discomfort when touching the cervix (any pain that you felt)?

My last one was the 3rd week of Nov. I have had some sharp pains this last week thinking it was just me ovulating. It is a little tender but not horrible.

Generally, the reason the cervix would decent and hang a bit lower would be if you are ovulating or if you are on your period. What happens then is the cervix gets a bit more engorged and can present lower in the vaginal canal.

Otherwise there shouldn't be any serious reason for you to be able to feel it. It is normally the width of a thumb if you haven't had a child and it is normally 3-6 inches inside the vaginal opening.

Okay I have had one child. Does it stay like that till me period comes and till its over?

That's correct. It would stay like that until you have your period.

Okay thank you

Glad I could help.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please click the rating button when you get a chance.

-Dr. Mo

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Otherwise, please click the rating button when you get a chance.

-Dr. Mo

-Dr. Mo

This will allow me to get paid for my service.

Thank you.

-Dr. Mo

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD