OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

My wife is going through IVF embryo transfer hopefully on…

Customer Question
Hello. My wife is...

Hello. My wife is going through IVF embryo transfer hopefully on Friday. She had her period on 11/27. The MD then had her start Lupron 10mg Daily, estradiol 4mg Daily, enoxaparin 40mg daily, and aspirin 81mg and prednisone 25mg Daily.. After starting the regimen, 7 days into the regimen, she started bleeding like a regular period. We contacted the MD , who tripled the dose of Estradiol to 12mg Daily . My wife took it for 3 days and we are now out of Estradiol. Her bleeding stopped the following day after starting the 12mg.We have tried reaching the MD to no avail. My wife has a pack of Microgestin 1/20, which is she used to use. Is it ok for her to take the Microgestin to substitute the Estradiol while we reach the MD?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Just the IVF specialist.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/10/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

The estradiol is just one hormone - estradiol. Microgestin has estradiol, and a second hormone which is called progesterone. I would not use the microgestin to replace the estradiol, because you'd be adding a separate hormone on which could potentially affect the hormonal milieu your doctor is trying to create before the embryo transfer.

I would also add that this is a totally appropriate scenario to call your doctor. They should have an answering service, or a nursing call line where you can reach someone who can help you or call out more estradiol for you. Is there any way you can keep trying?

That has been my concern. The Microgestin has norethinodrone. Which is why I paused. The MD is out of Barbados and we have not been able to reach her. I will keep trying. I guess they told us to take the Estradiol to grow the lining of the Uterus. Would norethinodrone help with this or negatively affect it?

Norethindrone (a type of progesterone) usually thins the lining. That being said, I do not have infertility subspecialty training as I'm assuming your infertility doc does, so I'm not sure what the usual protocol is for such scenarios.

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN